Last published 01 Nov 2018
17.7% of the state’s population are young people
- Just under 31.5% (1,304,286 of 4,142,935) of Australia’s young people live in NSW 1.
- 1,304,286 young people aged 12–25 years live in NSW making up 17.7% of the state’s population.
Where young people live:
- 66.7% of young people in NSW live in Sydney 2. 33.1% live in regional & rural areas 3
- 32.9% of the state’s young people live in Western Sydney Local Government Areas (LGAs).
More young people live in:
- Regional and rural NSW (outside Sydney) (432,121) slightly less than young people living in Western Australia (433,898)
- Western Sydney (337,787) than live in South Australia (287,026)
- the Hunter region (including Newcastle) (150,467) than live in Tasmania (84,627)
- Blacktown and Penrith LGAs combined (101,972) than live in the ACT (75,393)
- Blacktown LGA (64,270) than live in the Northern Territory (43,863).
- 30.5% of young people living in NSW in 2016 were born overseas
- There are significant populations of young people born in North East Asia (5.4%), Southern and Central Asia (3.2%), South East Asia (2.9%) and North West Europe (1.8%)
- The greatest number of young people born overseas were born in China (4.6%).
Young Aboriginal people:
- More young Aboriginal people live in NSW (58,890 = 4.5% of the NSW youth population) than any other state or territory including Queensland (51,487), Western Australia (20,221) and Northern Territory (15,754).
- The highest population of young Aboriginal people in NSW live in the Central Coast LGA (a new LGA created by merging former Gosford and Wyong LGAs) (3,572 = 0.3% of the NSW youth population) and Blacktown LGA, (2,813 = 0.2% of the NSW youth population). 12.0% of all the state’s young Aboriginal people living in the Hunter area and 10.2% living in Western Sydney.
- 2016 Census of Population and Housing New South Wales — Age by Sex
- Sydney — defined as Greater Sydney 2016 Census
- Regional and Rural NSW — defined as rest of NSW 2011 Census
Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 24 Sep 2019