What is Youth Parliament?
- YMCA Youth Parliament (YP) is an initiative implemented and run by the NSW State Council of YMCA's. Youth Parliament provides a way for young people to put across their ideas about issues that concern them. Essentially, it is a place where the opinions and concerns of young people in NSW are heard by those who have the power to make laws.
- YP is open to everyone in years 9 - 12 across NSW and each year we aim to get a representative from each state electorate across NSW, so that all areas are equally represented and a broad cross section of views can be heard.
Training Camp and Residential Camp
- Participants attend a training camp for a weekend in April where they meet and learn about how to develop a bill. Participants are placed into teams where over a 3 month period they develop a bill about an issue which is important to their team. (Most of the meetings take place online via email or phone)
- Participants then attend a Residential Camp in July where the final touches to their bills are made. Participants then get to present them in front of MP's and Ministers in NSW Parliament House.
What sort of issues are addressed?
- Education, Environment, Youth, Transport Services, Health, Rural Affairs, Ethnic Affairs, and Tourism, Sport & Recreation -to name just a few!
Why should I participate?
- If you are passionate about youth issues you will have the opportunity to advise New South Wales politicians & decision-makers on matters affecting young people.
- Youth Parliament is also a great opportunity for you to develop skills in leadership, public speaking, debating and team work.
- If you want to learn more about government & politics you will be able to meet with & talk to decision-makers & learn first-hand how Government & the Parliament operate.
- If you want to meet other young people & form new friendships the program includes a great camp & you can really get to know people & form friendships that last for years.
How do I get involved?
- Any person in grades 9-12 across New South Wales can apply to be a participant in the program.
- To get involved.
Visit the YMCA Youth Parliament website for more information.